Stay informed about the Census and what is happening locally and nationally.
President Trump released a memorandum Tuesday that calls for an unprecedented change to the constitutionally mandated count of every person living in the country - the exclusion of unauthorized immigrants from the numbers used to divide up seats in Congress among the states. The memo instructs Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, who oversees the Commerce Department, to include in the legally required report of census results to the president "information permitting the President, to the extent practicable" to leave out the number of immigrants living in the U.S. without authorization from the apportionment count.
The U.S. Census Bureau is ending all counting efforts for the 2020 census on Sept. 30, a month sooner than previously announced, the bureau's director confirmed Monday in a statement. That includes critical door-knocking efforts and collecting responses online, over the phone and by mail. The latest updates to the bureau's plans are part of efforts to "accelerate the completion of data collection and apportionment counts by our statutory deadline of December 31, 2020, as required by law and directed by the Secretary of Commerce" who oversees the bureau, Director Steven Dillingham said in the written statement posted on the bureau's website.
The Census Bureau will end its efforts to count every living person in the US a month earlier than expected, a move that will probably lead to an undercount of communities of color, poorer Americans and other hard-to-count groups. Such an undercount would be catastrophic for those communities. The numbers from the census, which happens every 10 years, are used to determine how nearly $1.5tn in federal funds get allocated and how electoral districts are drawn for the next decade. The bureau will shorten the deadline to respond to the census by a month and will end counting on 30 September, it announced on Monday. In April, the agency said it needed until 31 October to finish the count and asked Congress to give it a four-month extension of the 31 December deadline to produce data because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
(July 22, 2020) – NC Counts Coalition released a statement from Executive Director Attorney Stacey Carless in response to the White House memorandum demanding the exclusion of undocumented immigrants in the Census: “The memorandum issued by the White House yesterday, calling for the exclusion of undocumented immigrants from the Census count is another attempt to politicize the Census.
"More than 55 programs in North Carolina are funded by the federal government, and unless every citizens in our state is counted, those programs won't be fully funded for the next 10 years."
"This year, getting an accurate count of the US population by the December 31 deadline might be much harder because of the coronavirus. If people don't participate, then they're at risk of getting less vaccine"
RALEIGH, N.C. The U.S. Census is taking measures to make sure workers and the public are safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, canceling all face to face contact. That means responses to the letters sent out in the mail, online, and by phone are more important now than ever.
April 1, 2020 is National Census Day! Join NC Counts Colaition for a virtual press conference on the current state of the Census in North Carolina as we commemorate 2020 Census day. Following the press conference, NC Counts Coalition will host a virtual ‘Census Day Party’.
The 2020 Census response rate map shows how cities and towns across the country are now responding. The map will be updated daily around 3 p.m. for everyone to see the response rate in their area and compare it to other areas across the nation. The map also shows the comparable response rate from the 2010 Census for each geography.